Thursday, September 06, 2012

LEAVE OVER OH!!!!


Sounds incoherent right………….. that’s a common phrase at work.  A few weeks before leave commences the lucky person starts announcing “handover o” just to annoy everyone and yes it works. The catch however is when the leave is almost over, other colleagues begin every conversation they have with that person with “leave over o” and trust me, that hurts even more.

So that’s where I am at now………..leave over o! My 26 day leave has finally come to an end and I am back at work. Not the happiest really as I have lost the enthusiasm associated with it! Mehn I hope none of my …….. ever come across this post. No thanks to the ones that gave me grief when I was applying for my leave.

So back to my day, I had this out of body experience this morning, but not in a good way.  This was not the kind where you are way beyond excited about something. This was more like a disconnect. It felt really strange going back to my routine. You know when people say, they are physically present somewhere but their minds are far away. Both mind and body felt alien to the routine today.

And I know many of you will say “then just change or quit or something” especially after I tell you that time spent there is considerably near a decade. Hmm ……………..easier said than done o. A girl has needs o! Especially when you are single and still living with daddy. I need to be able to maintain my lifestyle.

Let me quickly correct you here………..i no be rich man pikin o! Middle class and not ashamed. How come I have a lifestyle abi? Everybody can have a lifestyle really, it’s all about having a particular idea of what your comfort level is, so yes I have a lifestyle. And to keep it that way, I cannot shakara o. And yes this may be the wrong kind of mentality but if you consider that I may not have the entrepreneurship gene it might make some sense to you.

Let me start by listing out all my failed businesses; first there was selling “Akosombo”  the Ghanaian material, well I wouldn’t exactly call that one a failed business, because it was what convinced me into thinking that I could actually sell and make money! But then again, it proved to be very expensive o, after calculating airfare to Ghana, the proceeds didn’t quite add up. Next I decided to sell shirts. This time, I sold them on order. So really I had all my customers before I even went ahead to purchase the shirts, and I made some good money there o, at least the proceeds paid part of my Cornell University online program fees in 2010. i quit business for a while because I was studying and I caught the business bug again in 2011, I put money together and decided to try baby clothes. I was sure there was a market for this here, but I guess I did not put into consideration how saturated it was. ………

So it turned out, I sold quite a number of the stuff I got, but I had a rude introduction to naija buyers! The do not pay o!! kai as we  speak, I still have over  well 50 grand in different hands.  I was only able to hit my cost price, thank God for that. I counted my losses, gave out the remaining clothes and moved on.

I wouldn’t exactly say moved on, because I am even more convinced that I am not cut out to be an entrepreneur or should I just say the buying and selling business!  Who do I blame for this now? While I do not intend to blame my parents o, but all I was told as a child was “make sure you read your books and pass, so you can get a good job”. I was wired right from childhood to be an employee. And all I wanted to do was to leave school and get that good job! Well…..here I am!

To be continued……………..

No comments: