Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A lesson from my 4 year old god-daughter


So i haven't been here regularly like i promised myself i would be, but new year new things! will try to do this every Tuesday henceforth..............

Anyways, i thought i'd share this......

 

So I was away on holidays August last year, visiting with my Bestie who is mum to the most adorable, fashionable and intelligent 4 year old I know …………………and this is not just because I am her god-mother.

 

Bestie and I were talking about things we want and how they were taking so long to happen. So she decides to tell me about something that happened with her daughter a little while back and that story changed my life.

 

Her daughter was leaving nursery and about to start reception “big school” as she calls it…lol. She promised her a cake to share with her friends at nursery. The little girl was excited and was looking forward to celebrating with her friends.

 

So on the way back from nursery the day before graduation, her mum drove past the store where they normally got cake, and she reminded her saying “mummy we were supposed to get cake” and she said I know don’t worry. But she couldn’t understand why her mum passed the cake shop and she still kept asking and saying “mummy but you promised”.

 

Now Bestie had other plans, she wanted to get her something better, so she decided to get the more expensive and better quality cake, instead of the everyday cake they got from the usual store. But her daughter didn’t understand that, she had planned it all out. Mummy will go to the cake shop on bla bla Street and get me a cake on our way back from nursery. …….But mummy had bigger and better plans.

 

And not till her mum passed the house and kept going onto the other place where she would get the better cake that she stopped.

 

Now as human beings, we want God to do certain things for us, and we usually have it all planned out. God will do it this way and it will happen that way and so on. But his ways are not always our ways. He does things in his own time and way and how he wants.

 

We do not get to tell God what we want and also dictate to him how we want it. And so we go through life impatient, because things do not seem to be going according to plan, while God is saying “Child trust me, I know what I am doing”.

 

And even though we will eventually get where he is taking us, we would have missed all the moments in-between. So let’s try not to miss out on all the other moments in life while focusing on that one thing. Trust God, close your eyes and occasionally stop and smell the roses.

 

 

 

No comments: